Friday, September 11, 2009

King Lear - Bastard Edomnd

Act 1. Scene II

Enter EDMUND, with a letter
EDMUND
Thou, nature, art my goddess; to thy law My services are bound. Wherefore should I Stand in the plague of custom,
and permit The curiosity of nations to deprive me,
For that I am some twelve or fourteen moon-shines

Lag of a brother Why bastard wherefore base !!!

When my dimensions are as well compact,
My mind as generous, and my shape as true,
As honest madam's issue

Why brand they us With base with baseness bastardy base, base !!!

Who, in the lusty stealth of nature,  take More composition and fierce quality
Than
doth, within a dull, stale, tired bed,
Go to the creating a whole tribe of fops, Got 'tween asleep and wake Well, then,

Legitimate Edgar, I must have your land
Our father's love is to the bastard Edmund

As to the legitimate fine word,--legitimate!

Well, my legitimate, if this letter speed,
And my invention thrive,
Edmund the base Shall top the legitimate.

I grow; I prosper

Now, gods, stand up for bastards!

No comments:

Post a Comment